Bio Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy is the correction of the BALANCE of the hormones in YOUR body at this point in time.
At Luxira we work with Dr Martin Kinsella at BioID Hormones, based in the North West of England. Bioidentical hormone replacement is the latest field of anti-ageing medicine and is gaining worldwide momentum. This is already a very popular treatment in London. We are delighted to be able to offer this service to patients in the North East.
What are Hormones?
They are the most powerful molecules in the body. They control
Cell growth, development, protein synthesis & metabolic rate
OPTIMUM levels are essential for quality of life, good health and disease prevention. We look at specific OPTIMAL ranges rather than looking at ‘normal’ ranges which can be large and therefore not very helpful in controlling symptoms. Bio-identical hormone replacement is individualised diagnosis of hormone imbalance with treatment to RESTORE perfect levels for you as an individual
Between the ages of 20-30, sex hormone levels are stable. After 35, there is a gradual decline and it is very common, for example to see low progesterone levels in women 15years before the menopause.
These sex hormones that we are talking about prescribing are
- DHEA- commonest sex hormone, increases with stress, an androgen that balances cortisol.
- Testosterone- also very important for women
They are made from cholesterol.
What is the difference between ‘conventional’ hormone prescriptions and bio-identical hormones?
Bio-identical hormones are SYNTHETIC structures that are identical to human hormones. ‘Conventional’ hormones are naturally occurring but they don’t work for our bodies as effectively. The oestrogen in conventional HRT is made from equine urine and horse oestrogen is nothing like human oestrogen.
When are they used?
We can use bio-identical hormones for men (andropause) and women (menopause and pre-menopause)
At what age might I need this?
As mentioned earlier, patients present most commonly from the age of about 35. It may be earlier in some.
What symptoms might I notice?
Andropause (from mid 30’s, usually very gradual)
- increased body fat (including fat around internal organs which is bad for cardiovascular health)
- reduced muscle
- increased lethargy
- reduced sex drive (libido)
- impaired memory
- low mood & depression
- reduced sexual function, eg erectile dysfunction
- cardiovascular disease
Pre-menopause / Menopause
Oestrogen deficiency causes
- hot flushes
- period problems / heavy periods
- vaginal dryness
- irritability, depression
- aches and pains
- memory problems, Alzheimer’s Disease
- wrinkles, dry skin
- poor cardiovascular health and cancer
Incorrect balance of oestrogen and progesterone causes
- Anxiety, irritability, depression
- bloating and oedema
- breast cysts, fibroids, breast cancer, ovarian and uterine cancer
- thyroid dysfunction
- gallbladder disease
So what are the benefits?
Sex hormones as we have said are made from cholesterol. they then control our
- nervous system
- cardiovascular system
- Immune system
- Gastrointestinal system
- Skeletal and muscular systems
- Endocrine system
As a result of correcting imbalance in these hormones you will have
- reduced blood pressure and reduced incidence of heart disease
- ‘good cholesterol’ balance correction, (reducing the ‘bad’ LDL type)
- prevention of fat in the organs reducing cardiovascular risk
- improved sensitivity to insulin and reduced incidence of diabetes
- immune system response improvement
- improved skin, hair and muscles
- improved mood, brain function and health
- improved pain management
- improved response to insulin
- recuced miscarriage, increased fertility
- reduced risk prostate cancer as low levels are linked to this (prostate blood tests and prostate examination is advised at regular intervals)
- reduced loss of bone in spine and hip, increased BMD
Are there any side effects?
Bio-identical hormones are not drugs. There are no side effects, no interactions and they are not toxic. There are only effects. The only possible problem would be if the BALANCE of the prescription is not right or delivered in the wrong way (eg gel or capsule)
Isn’t HRT risky?
There is good evidence that bio-identical hormone replacement is safer than conventional HRT.
Bio-identical hormones avoid the use of the types of oestrogen that trigger breast receptors (estrone) in such a way that they could cause breast and uterine cancer. There is evidence that bio-identical hormone oestrogens (estradiol and estriol) actually prevent breast cancer. Adding the correct type of progesterone (not a conventional ‘progestin’) adds further safety. The type of testosterone that we use is safer than ‘conventional’ testosterone which is linked to cancer. Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy is very safe.
Initial consultation £250 You will meet Dr Davis after you have completed a health questionnaire sent to you by email and returned in advance.
At this point your full blood profile would be taken (£350) if you want to go ahead with hormone profiling and a 3 month prescription issued depending on the results (cost depends on what is needed).
Women need to have a blood test around day 21 of the cycle ideally.
Review appointment £150 There would then be an 8 week review when repeat tests (£250) are taken to check how your treatment is going. This may be a combination of saliva and blood testing.
Ongoing prescriptions are then issued every 3 months once your hormones are balanced and an annual full blood profile is done to monitor your health.
The typical overall cost of this treatment works out at around £150 per month.